Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Your Time or Your Money?

The single biggest issue that always strikes me when reading about the frugal living lifestyle is most things in life come down to two simple things - your time and/or your money. We seem to have a single tradeoff to contend with in each choice we make. Do we spend our time? Do we spend our money? Generally things cost more of one or the other based on the decision we make. We make a trade-off and a balance in each thing we need or desire.

When I go to the grocery store, for example, I make a choice. If my choice is to buy elemental ingredients for the foods I will cook that week then I purchase items like flour, eggs, milk, meat, fruits, and vegetables. Very few of the items in my cart come in a box or any kind of unnecessary packaging. I am not paying for processing of these items into another form so they are likely cheaper. The tradeoff that I then contend with is that I will have to cook my meals from scratch. This will likely take more of my time. I saved money when I shopped and I traded-off for more time in cooking and preparation.

Perhaps I do not know how to cook from scratch or perhaps I have very limited time to cook my meals due to my work or family schedules. I go to the same grocery store and purchase most of my items in a box or in the frozen foods aisle. My packages are filled to the brim with frozen pizzas and hamburger helper type meal. In theory they take less time to prepare. My food bill will likely be double the cost it was when I purchased the elemental ingredients. I have traded a higher grocery bill for less preparation time.

(Read the entire article in my newsletter...)

Subscribe to my newsletter, The Frugal Place, and get a monthly dose of the frugal life and learn how to find that new American Dream - the one you can afford! Subscription is $12 for 8 issues a year. Money back guarantee! Paypal: thefrugalplace@yahoo.com or e-mail me for the snail-mail address to send payment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home