Friday, November 03, 2006

What Do I Want To Do When I Grow Up?

I’ve hated that question since I was a child. Still do, come to think of it. J I always wondered why other children growing up seemed to have an idea of who they were and what they wanted to do, while I has NO idea.

For a while I wanted to be a chemist. Right now I work in the IT field, but am still not sure, even at the age of 37, that it is my “calling” either… I would LOVE to work from home, write, sell things, craft, etc… but haven’t figured out how to both match my current income and benefits. Maybe at some point I will, and then I can stop working for The Man and work for ME. Something tells me that until we get healthcare reform in this country that isn’t going to happen anytime soon though.

I have a 12 year old and a 14 year old. When asked what they want to do when they grow up my 12 year old tells me he wants to move to LA and act. (I actually think he will and will probably do very well at it. But, I am biased…) My 14 year old just wants to be done with school and do something where he never has to go back to school and textbooks. I assume he will make a great carpenter or mechanic, but that’s just my guess.

I guess the biggest thing I hate about the question of what we want to be when we grow up is that my job so does not define who I am. I’ve always found it a bit ludicrous that our obituary lists what we did for a living. Why not list that we were a good person, did good things for others, etc… I mean who wants to be defined as John Smith who worked pumping out toilets for 40 years? Not exactly the last impression that I want to leave the earth with…

I do hope that someday I figure it out. Who knows if I will or not though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Thanks for partipicating in the WAHM BLOGGERS network QOTW. What did you want to be when you grow up. WAHM reveal grown-up plans

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thought...wonder what my obituary will read...I'm having a talk with my husband tonight..."oh, and mention i'm a good person." :)

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what I want to do either, but I feel that I am moving more toward it now. At 35, I feel that I should have a clearer idea. I am a stay/work at home mom and am only now beginning to see what drives my passion. Good luck to you on your journey!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home