Thursday, March 02, 2006

Saving Money on Books

While I love public libraries, I happen to live a long way from one. This and working M-F makes using the library a challenge!

Long ago I fell in love with thrift stores. They have lots of odd objects, great clothing (especially for kids!) and tons of books. I love nothing more than to find a copy of a book for $0.25. I wanted to read both "Nickle & Dimed" and "The Millionaire Next Door" and happened upon them both at a local thrift store for $0.25 each. I bought them, read them at my leisure, and then donated them back. Low cost, as much time as I wanted to read them, and no clutter! :)

I also happen to love to book shop on eBay, Half.com, Amazon, Costco and places like that. Can't tell you the last time I paid "retail" for a book.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

My library system has something called the "cybermobile" which is a traveling library extension that also has internet access etc. They have a route they do in outlying areas-too bad your area doesn't have something like that.

5:19 PM  
Blogger The Frugal Place said...

Our county, in it's entirety, has just about zero services. Part of living in rural CA, I guess.

We tend to have a population here of either retired folks or those in transition and using a lot of services such as TANF and Section 8.

Our local retailers are really expensive and we are close enough to shop in Oregon at both a cheaper price and without sales taxes. So, that makes for a small tax base here locally.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Julie @ Creating This Life said...

At 25 cents a piece they are cheaper than my library fines!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home