Friday, March 03, 2006

Use a Pantry To Save On Groceries

One of the best ways we have found to save on our grocery/household expenses is by using the pantry system.

We buy items when they are on sale and stock our own little "grocery store" in the house. When we run out of something we shop in our pantry and then restock next time there is a good sale. This insures that we do not have to make trips to the store (25 miles one way from our rural home) and it insures that we always pay the lowest possible price for the items we reguarly buy.

When times are lean, you have unexpected expenses, illness, etc... then you have a "stockpile" where you can live out of for a while with little to no cash outlay.

We do not stock things for an "emergency" but rather rely on our pantry to get us through the times where we cannot shop for whatever reason.

When you use a pantry it is important to rotate what you buy and use the oldest items first. This insures that you do not have to throw things out because they spoil.

Do you use a pantry?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Yes I do! As a matter of fact I posted pictures of mine over on my blog last week. It might not be beautiful, but it works!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Mom2fur said...

I have a big closet that I use as a pantry. I keep a good supply of stuff in there. An old refrigerator with a freezer also helps me keep things 'in stock.' It is so nice to reach for something I bought on sale with a coupon...instead of running to the store and paying full price.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Moonwishes said...

Yes I have a pantry in the new house that we will be mocing into. I've been working all fall to get it filled (and the freezer). Then this week the sump pump died and we thought we had lost all the food in the freezer, but hubby said it was all okay except for the bread which I can still use stale. Anyhow, our move keeps getting a bit delayed and I'm in the situation of plenty of food at the new house and hardly any where we are living! Now do I buy food or go swipe it off the pantry shelves? I was so wanting to move into a house that has a kitchen full of food!!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home